Alternative and Integral Therapies
Ayurvedic Treatment of Insomnia
Determine which dosha is causing the insomnia - Vata, Pitta and Kapha - all the three, two of them or only one. Following medicines may be tried, irrespective of the dosha origin.
1. Churna of Pipplomool-1.5gm to be taken with water as a single dose at bed time.
2. Swarnamakhshik Bhasma (1 gm) to be taken with jaggery at bed time.
3. Take the following herbs with water or milk thrice daily:
To make the above remedies stronger and more effective add 1 gm or 500mg of Shankhpushpi to the above- mentioned powders.
4. Vatakulantaka (125mg) may be taken twice daily with honey.
5. Nidrodaya Rasa-125mg to be taken with honey at bed- time (one dose only):
One of the simplest and most effective ways to induce sleep is to rub some oil on the scalp and the soles of the feet before going to bed.
Use sesame oil, brahmi oil, jasmine oil, cow's ghee or jatamatnsi oil, and massage gently for a few minutes. Slightly warming the oil before applying is helpful.
Depending on an individual's body type, different kinds of oil are used at varying temperatures to relax the nervous system. These include:
Massage soles of the feet with cow's milk at night. Add some camphor during summer days.
Holisticonline.com is developed and maintained
by ICBS, Inc.