and Complementary Remedies Angina
Herbal Medicine for Angina
- Green Tea - may help keep cholesterol from
- Garlic - prevent the oxidation of LDL
cholesterol, may prevent the liver from producing excess fat and cholesterol.
- Hawthorn- dilates coronary blood vessels,
improving the flow of blood to the heart. It also strengthens the heart muscle and works
to help the body rid itself of excess salt and water.
- Turmeric- lowers blood cholesterol levels
by stimulating the production of bile. It also prevents the formation of dangerous blood
clots that can lead to heart attack.
- Ginkgo biloba- improves the flow of blood
throughout the body. It is also an antioxidant.
- Alfalfa: Alfalfa leaves and sprouts help
reduce the blood cholesterol levels and plaque deposits on artery walls.
- Ginger- reduces cholesterol. It also
reduces blood pressure and prevents blood clots.
- Citrin - an extract from the plant Garcinia
cambogia, inhibits the synthesis of fatty acids in the liver.
- Guggul - This ayurvedic herb is shown to
- Other herbs that are beneficial for cardiovascular disorders
include barberry, black cohosh, butcher's broom, cayenne (capsicum), dandelion, ginseng,
and valerian root.
Caution: Do not use barberry or black cohosh during pregnancy. Do not use
ginseng if you have high blood pressure. Also avoid the herbs ephedra (ma huang) and
licorice, as they cause a rise in blood pressure.
remedies are not meant to be used as a treatment for heart attack. If you suspect a heart attack, seek emergency medical treatment immediately.